Lydia Chichester du Pont founded the Children’s Beach House (CBH) in the early 1930s, as a place where she could take children with special needs to benefit from the same healing qualities that she had derived from the coastal environment.
In 1936, she began the formal process of incorporating a foundation and recruiting its board of trustees.
“The nature of the business which the corporation is established to conduct and carry on is to provide means for the care, maintenance and creation, within or without the State of Delaware, of crippled, sick or poor children; to establish, maintain and carry on homes or camps for the care of such children; to furnish medical advice or assistance, especially in orthopedic cases, and to provide for the maintenance of such children in other institutions when necessary.”
Children’s Beach House Certificate of Corporation
Signed by Lydia Chichester du Pont
June 25, 1937